Register O’Donnell Sworn In As Assistant Recorder of Land Court

In order to execute a critical part of his official duties as Norfolk County Register of Deeds, William P. O’Donnell was recently sworn in as the county’s Assistant Recorder of the Land Court by Chief Justice Gordon Piper of the Massachusetts Land Court.


 


Register O’Donnell, who was elected to a third full term in office last November, explained the role of Assistant Recorder of the Land Court. “Massachusetts has two classifications of land: recorded land and registered land. The Massachusetts Land Court is responsible for resolving disputes involving land or real property. Once the case is resolved by the Land Court, I, as Register of Deeds, am responsible for overseeing the recording and safe keeping of these registered land records in Norfolk County. This is why the Register of Deeds is required to be sworn in as an Assistant Recorder of the Land Court.”


 


In the case of Norfolk County, approximately 80% of the property is classified as recorded land and the remaining 20% is considered registered land or “Land Court property.” Register O’Donnell noted, “Whether the land in question is recorded or registered land, I take my responsibilities as an Assistant Recorder of the Land Court very seriously. The citizens of Norfolk County can be assured that the county’s approximately 8.5 million land documents are being recorded accurately, efficiently and are available online for viewing via our state-of-the-art computer system.


 


“Finally, I want to thank Chief Justice Piper, the Court’s Associate Justices and their staffs for their graciousness and kind remarks extended to me at my swearing-in ceremony.  The level of cooperation and mutual respect exhibited between the state and county has been critical to achieving our goals with regard to the recording and safekeeping of registered land documents.”


 


To learn more about these and other Registry of Deeds events and initiatives, like us at facebook.com/NorfolkDeeds or follow us on twitter.com/NorfolkDeeds and/or Instagram.com/NorfolkDeeds.


 


The Norfolk County Registry of Deeds is located at 649 High Street in Dedham.  The Registry is a resource for homeowners, title examiners, mortgage lenders, municipalities and others with a need for secure, accurate, accessible land record information.  All land record research information can be found on the Registry’s website www.norfolkdeeds.org.  Residents in need of assistance can contact the Registry of Deeds Customer Service Center via telephone at (781) 461-6101, or email us at [email protected].


 


            ############################################################

The Norfolk County Registry of Deeds will be closed on Thursday, July 4th in celebration of Independence Day. We are open Friday, July 5th.

The Norfolk County Registry of Deeds is closed Today, July 4th in celebration of Independence Day. We are open Friday, July 5th.